They are a bit larger in size than a raisin and are a beautiful orange colour.
It is more common to buy them dried but some stores also sell them fresh.
I took a stab at growing some in my garden this year. The plants were small and the berries grow within a papery skin. They took awhile to ripen, but next year I'll give them some more room and love and see what happens. I actually remember thinking this was a weed and pulling it out only to immediately realize what type of plant this was and quickly returned it to the soil.
Planted in May, by July they looked like:
Golden berries are superfoods due to these benefits:
• High in fibre (supporting gastrointestinal health and cardiovascular health)
• Maintains blood sugar levels and lowers blood pressure
• High in Vitamins A, C, B1, B2, B3, B6 and B12
• Antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-histamine, antiviral
• Adaptagens meaning they help the body to reduce stress
Make it a sweet day!