Welcome to the Sweet Life!

Welcome to the Sweet Life!

• Adventures in a Vegan Kitchen
• Eating out in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal
• Organic, Natural & Vegan products

Tuesday 13 September 2011

First day of School - Banana Muffins

Last night was my first class at IHN (Institute for Holistic Nutrition).
I have been excited to start this program for months and last night was the beginning of my journey.
I already have a good understanding of how nutrition works. As I transitioned into a vegan lifestyle I read a lot of books and studies on the topic, but this program will open my eyes to a whole world of information I haven't even considered.

In my excitement yesterday, I made Banana Muffins to take as a snack. Class is from 6:00 - 9:30 so smart snacking is necessary.

I used my go to banana loaf recipe and just poured it in muffin pan instead:

4 organic ripe bananas
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 sugar (cane or palm, I used palm this time and they are less sweet)
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg replacer (I use a flax/chia seed mixture with water)
1/3 cup non-dairy milk
1 1/2 cup of flour (I used 1 cup whole wheat & 1/2 cup white)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder

Optional additions
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1 tbsp cinnamon plus a dusting on top of the muffins without nuts

Heat oven to 350°.
Mash bananas and mix in sugar, vanilla, oil and non-dairy milk.
Add egg replacer to mixture and stir.
Add baking powder and baking soda followed by flour in two batches, and any additional items.
Pour into loaf pan, muffin tin, or even donut pan (cooking times will very depending on the size and shape you choose.

Muffins took 18 minutes. Donuts took 13 minutes.

Made 6 muffins and 3 donuts.

Delicious study snack for school.
Have a sweet day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment