Welcome to the Sweet Life!

Welcome to the Sweet Life!

• Adventures in a Vegan Kitchen
• Eating out in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal
• Organic, Natural & Vegan products

Friday 9 September 2011

TGIF Pancakes

I woke up this morning excited it was Friday, odd though because usually that means a weekend ahead of fun things, no work, sleep, relaxing, whatever, I actually have 24 hours of work ahead of me this "weekend" so I don't know what I was so excited about, Yes I like my job so that helps but I've only worked 1 in the last 6 days (thanks to the long weekend) so I guess i'm getting used to doing nothing...

One of my first thoughts of the day was to go for a run because just yesterday I realized I don't run as much as I'd like to. Then another thought fought it's way into my head "you should make pancakes for breakfast...it is Friday after all" and so that's what I did.

My pancake recipe:

1 cup flour
2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp sugar (I used palm/coconut)
1 egg replacer

Mix the above dry ingredients together.

1 cup non-dairy milk (I used half rice and half almond)
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp olive oil

Mix the above dry ingredients together.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until you have a smooth batter.
Pour into a heated (possibly oiled) frying pan. Makes 4 - 8 pancakes depending on the size you pour.
Top with maple syrup, jam, peanut butter - anything you want.

These turned out good, but I've made better. I'm on a mission to make them fluffier. Anyone have suggestions?

To go along with, or should I say, balance out my sugar loaded breakfast, I made a cacao wheatgrass smoothie.

I figured the antioxidants in the cacao and the chlorophyll in the wheatgrass ought to combat the sweet mess it accompanied.

Did you know: Just one teaspoon of wheatgrass powder (approx 4 grams) has the equivalent nutritional value as a whole spinach salad (approx 50 grams).

My smoothie contained:
1 tsp of wheatgrass powder
1 cup of rice milk
1 tbsp or raw cacao powder
1 tbsp of vega choc-a-lot
1 tbsp almond butter

Now I'm too full to go for my run, but there's always tomorrow...

Have a sweet day!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmm what great looking pancakes and they're so SIMPLE!!!!! Love it!!!

    I love adding smoothies with my breakfast to make it a little more "green" :)

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete