Welcome to the Sweet Life!

Welcome to the Sweet Life!

• Adventures in a Vegan Kitchen
• Eating out in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal
• Organic, Natural & Vegan products

Tuesday 25 October 2011

Cherry Chia Tartlets

This week I've been studying hard, the final exam for my first course is next week and I've been busy learning about vitamins and minerals, while reviewing digestion, carbohydrates, proteins, fats and oils. I've learnt a lot in the last 8 weeks and am trying to apply the information to my day to day life. So far I've increased the quality and amount of supplements I take daily and have added some new foods to my regular grocery list such as; amaranth, tempeh, and wheat germ.

I particularly like wheat germ because I can throw it into a smoothie or on top of my (coconut milk) yogurt. And it's a good source of:
• B Vitamins - B1, B3, Folic Acid and B12
• Calcium and Magnesium
• Iron
• Vitamin E
• Zinc
• Potassium
• Fiber
• Omega 3


To motivate myself to study a bit harder I splurged today and had the last Cherry Chia tartlet.

I threw this recipe together by grabbing a bowl and mixing some rolled oats, wheat germ, shredded coconut, cinnamon, maple syrup, coconut milk and chia "egg" until it was a consistency that stuck together slightly. I patted it down in the tart pans (greased with coconut oil) and baked them at 350° for 5 mins, before filling them with organic sugar-free cherry jam and finally sprinkled some of the oat mixture on top. Back into the oven they went for about 15 mins then I removed from the oven and waited about 5 mins for them to cool on the counter, then I dug in. Sweet, tart-y deliciousness.

Have a sweet day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment