Welcome to the Sweet Life!

Welcome to the Sweet Life!

• Adventures in a Vegan Kitchen
• Eating out in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal
• Organic, Natural & Vegan products

Thursday 7 July 2011

Cabbage Crunch Salad and Kamut Square Treat

I don't know when it happened, but I recently fell in love with red cabbage and I'm sure glad I did!

Not only is this veggie stunning in appearance but it's loaded with nutritional benefits.
A serving contains essential minerals including manganese, potassium, calcium, iron and magnesium in addition to vitamins C, K and B, and is a great source of fibre.

Red cabbage also contains anthocyanin (giving it that vibrant colouring) which is an antioxidant, helping to remove toxins and cancer causing chemicals from the body, and this veggie is shown to balance blood sugar levels too! It's hard not to love it.

With all this in mind I set out to make a red cabbage salad that would satisfy my crunch craving.


1/2 head of red cabbage sliced
4 celery stalks sliced
1/3 red onion sliced
1 medium-large apple cut into chunks
1 tbsp fresh dill
1/3 cup walnuts
parsley for garnish

Dressing:
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp garlic powder
1tsp dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

This was a tasty salad and much different than any I've ever attempted before. The longer it marinates in the dressing the better.

I had picked up these Kamut Puffs and wanted to make a snack out of them.

So I subbed them into my usual rice krispie recipe and they held up well, the result  was actually chewy and not at all crispy. Sticky gooey nutty goodness.

and drizzled with chocolate

I made these by heating brown rice syrup over low heat and adding an equal amount of peanut butter, and half as much almond butter and stirring until liquid. Then adding as much cereal as possible without adding too much (or it'll have dry spots) and mixing into a pan lined with parchment paper.
I melted chocolate chips in a double broiler and dripped over. Voila.

I don't have exact measurements because it'll depend on how big of a batch you'd like to make but this is a fool proof treat that anyone can master and can be made with any puff type of cereal you may have on hand.

Do you have any recipes you trust yourself to make without measurements?

Have a sweet day.

1 comment: