Welcome to the Sweet Life!

Welcome to the Sweet Life!

• Adventures in a Vegan Kitchen
• Eating out in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal
• Organic, Natural & Vegan products

Wednesday 18 May 2011

Coconut Bananza Muffin & Mango Smoothie

Hello! Happy Wednesday.

Yesterday was Tuesday (wow I sound like Rebecca Black) so that means Sweet Tooth Tuesday!


I had bananas on the counter that had seen better days so out came the muffin pan because I was making Coconut Bananza Muffins! Who doesn't love coconut and banana? That combo is so tropical I almost forgot where I was until I looked out the window at rain and 11ºC weather, and I remembered oh ya...Toronto.

I had one of these muffin guys this morning for breakfast with a Mango Orange Smoothie.


For the smoothie: 8 chunks of frozen mango, 1/2 cup orange juice, 1/4 cup almond milk, 1 tbsp of chia seeds. Mix in blender for 2 mins and voila!

For the Coconut Bonanza muffins:
4-5 ripe bananas
2/3 cup coconut milk
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 flax eggs or egg substitute (flax adds a nuttier flavour)
1/4 cup olive oil (next time I'll use coconut oil here)

1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
 1/2 tsp sea salt 

Garnish: shredded coconut or chopped walnuts



Oven preheated to 350ºF. Muffin liners in muffin pan.
Mash the bananas and mix in all wet ingredients. Stir well.
In a separate bowl combine all dry ingredients and stir them.

Add dry to wet in 2 batches, stir until well combined. Pour into muffin cups and garnish (I did 8 with shredded coconut and 4 with chopped walnuts).
Bake for 20-25 mins (check after 15 mins) and poke with a toothpick until it comes out clean.

You could also add cacao nibs or chocolate chips...maybe next time.

Have a sweet day!


0 comments:

Post a Comment